Monday, December 14, 2009

Fulfilling a Childhood Dream

Of late, I have had a series of people telling me I should do this. Paulo Coelho, Randy Pausch, Steve Jobs, the list goes on...

So, I decided that while I do what I love, I should also do what I always wanted to. Since I was a kid, we passed Slapper on numerous bus rides. Slapper, relatively unknown, is on the Chandigarh Manali highway. The road crosses a bridge over the Sutlej river here. The road follows Sutlej downstream on both sides before it peters away to its destinations.

Now, whenever we passed Slapper, I always looked at the huge mountains upstream and the river meandering to disappear in them. I had this fancy to find out where the river came from and travel that path along the river.

So, today morning I decided, I am doing that and promptly consulted a map, paid a reconnaisance visit to Slapper to find out if a trail exists. Sure enough, it does and sure enough, I leave in a few days to walk this trail.

2 comments:

  1. This is great -- so simple, and it's been brewing for so long. And the place is named Slapper!

    Looking forward to hearing how things turn out... Photos too?

    Brett
    http://www.stateofplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Brett

    Yeah, now that I think of it, funny name. Am happy no one slapped me there. Things turned our really fantastic. Have tried making sense of it at www.trekhimachal.com in the latest trips section. You can find the photos there as well.

    ReplyDelete