Monday, February 15, 2010

First Impressions

I finished the 4th day of walking today. Time for first impressions. These will be short (I am paying 300 NR per hour for the internet).

1. Stunning views - but of course. In the highest of Himalayas and the highest of mountains on the earth, this had to happen. There are snow capped peaks, beautiful villages, interesting clouds.

2. The River - should have been part of views but deserves a special mention. Have been walking along Marshyangdi River for the last 4 days. It is angry, furious, fast and everything else a mountain river can be. There have been some scary suspension bridge crossings.

3. Commercializtion - When I see Swiss Rosti, Hash Browns, Mushroom Pizza on the menus of these small tea houses here, I know something is wrong. Heavily commercialized trail.

4. Road - noise of pneumatic drilling from the road that is to reach Manang in a few months. On the other side, it has already reached Jomsom. When the road is completed, this trek will be a 3 day trek. That, in one word makes me sad.

5. Local people - have seen nothing of them. No one is willing to talk. I am just a tourist for them. Feed him well, earn off him. Thats where it ends. I might be naive but I like my mountains with small, untouched villages where you get a genuine smile from people, lots of incredulous looks and lots and lots of questions.

I am at Chame right now and it is very cold here. Snow all around. I should reach Manang in 2 days. Have heard contradictory news regarding the state of Thurung La. Some say its open, I have seen others returning. We will cross the bridge when it comes.

3 comments:

  1. I wish there was a "like" button on your blog :)

    Loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. okie..so the bird has landed ..and is enjoying the trip... from your description the place is pretty much commercialized ... best of luck and will read more about it post ur next 300 NR/HR cyber bout...

    Tripat

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to read this live feed from the trail...
    Best of luck for the trek ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete