Saturday, February 6, 2010

An Appeal

This is a sudden and unexpected post. I am excited, excited beyond belief. It rained in the night and I got up today morning to see lots of snow on the mountains. Then it cleared up and I was disappointed. Then it went dark again and I have cheered up again. It is snowing up there. This is an appeal to the weather gods.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A HUMBLE APPEAL TO THE WEATHER GODS AT PALAMPUR, HP, INDIA

For once, please, for once, let it rip in the mountains. Let all the pent up snow fall there. I am sick of seeing false starts. I am sick of seeing dying bamboo forests and almost dying deodar forests. I am sick of the general lack of water in streams. I am sick of seeing the bare grey of the rocks. I am sick of seeing midget wheat plants. I am sick of everything the world's progress has brought upon the mountains and their ecosystems.

We are not improving in a hurry. We will do thousands Copenhagens. Developed nations will not do anything because they are developed. Developing will not do anything because they are developing. Underdeveloped wont do anything because they cant. All is not lost thought. For every one ignorant human (like I was a few months ago), there is atleast one who is aware (like I am now).

Dont ignore this appeal. For once, I want to see the forests at their lushest green. For once, I want to see the flowers bloom with all the colours. For once, I want to see the streams full of water. For once, I want to see the Dhauladhars all white again. For once, I want to live life like I could have 50 years ago. Please, please, please!!

If it stays like this for the next 3 days and 3 nights, I may, just may............................................. start believing that you exist.

6 comments:

  1. Shalabh,

    You need snow...come down to Was DC buddy...2feet and counting...u might be able to help me trek from under the snow pile outside the house...hehe :)

    -Rajat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rajat, thanks for the offer. This is not just about snow. This is about having the right amount of snow at all the right places at all the right times year on year on year forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!!!!!

    if this wish is granted, it be an utter bliss...for once in our lifetime....for people like us to live in that highly honorable moment....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @shalabh ..so..its been two days now and counting ...how is ur belief in god shaping up... :).....its raining a bit today here in delhi too....btw..is rajat above the rajat we mutually know..

    rest..i think on the climate issue..the IPCC has been made a scapegoat by the powers that be....to a certain extent i feel ...this whole melting glacier thingy ..i blv is a reality..things are changing and they are changing for the worse..every year is now a record in summers and the heat waves...

    Tripat

    ReplyDelete
  5. i believe god has been considering this appeal.... it snowed in manali n lahual spiti
    ...hope it continues for a while :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Tripat. Belief in weather gods shaping up ok. :) Yes, this is the same Rajat. The glacier melting thing: even if you dont know, take it from me, I have seen some melt and disappear as well.

    @Aditi - been pouring in Himachal for the last over 72 hours, hope the snow is there to stay.

    ReplyDelete