Thursday, February 11, 2010

The fun begins

It has started. I landed in Kathmandu yesterday. A prelude to the trip was visible from the flight. Went straight to Thamel, the tourist neighbourhood. Expensive!! Very expensive! Needed a couple of passport size photos. Only option to get 8 for NR 250 (INR 185, USD 3.5). Internet at NR 100 per hour.
Himalayas from Jet Airways Flight 9W 262 on 10th Feb 2010. Very average shot but better than nothing.


Checked into Kathmandu Guest House, recommended by Gary (the guy courtesy whose facebook update I am here). Changed INR to NR, went for dinner. Large Jack Daniels with coke and a chicken starter, Nepali non veg thali for dinner, sweet dish and masala tea to complete. Wonderful and perfect dinner except the price tag.
The elite Nepali Non Veg Thali. Chutney, Spinach, mixed veg, dal, mutton, papad (Clockwise from left) and rice in the center.


The internet connection is too slow for me to write too much and the keys on the keyboard worse. In short, I got the trekking permit pretty quickly and cheaply today. 3 minutes and 200 NR vs 1 day and 2000 NR for Gary. Indian passport also helps in some places. :)

Lodging was so expensive, I did not see any point in staying. At 11, I got into a constricted 'Micro Bus' (actually a van which accomodates 18 instead of its capacity of 10). 5.5 hours later and 300 NR poorer, I have reached Besishahar a day earlier than I thought I would. Met some really nice locals on the bus, got some tips on getting around cheaper. They say I look Nepali with my short hair and I learnt some basic words. Not sure if that was the reason but today internet is NR 35 per hour and room rent NR 250 per night.

Here I come Gary!

1 comment:

  1. The picture is a little hazy but its brilliant nonetheless.. somehow these peaks seem to be higher than the highest dhauladars... Is that right?

    ReplyDelete