Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What is this called?

Yesterday started as a normal day. I swear to god it did. I woke up slightly later than usual. It was raining outside. I had been feeling slightly restless for the last 4-5 days. The usual stuff, feeling a little confused and not sure, doubts about whether I am doing the right thing and so on. I am sure everyone passes through this phase. I knew I needed to get out but the climes were not really supportive. I saw a facebook update from a friend about him leaving for the Annapurna Circuit Trek in Nepal.

I was watching India getting bashed by South Africa in a test match when I suddenly remembered I could make better use of my time by meeting someone in Dharamshala. It was a nice meeting, was glad to know that there are people who are doing such good work. You can see www.himalayanexplorers.co.in for details. I was also glad because I may have just ended up fixing some treks for the summer.

At 4:30 PM, I was back home to see India getting even more bashed by South Africa. The friend whom I had asked about the trek said it could done in this season as well. At 6 PM yesterday, out of the blue, without any prompts, I decided I am leaving immediately for Nepal. No bus tickets in hand, no flight tickets, no reservations in Nepal, no clue about the trek, no maps, no information.

As I write this, I am sitting at a friend's house in Delhi after a 13 hour bus journey, having failed to get a flight today and having booked one for tomorrow. Tomorrow, I leave for Kathmandu, day after I get my permits for the trek, day after that, I leave for a 28 day trek without any clue.

I hear the trek is pretty commercialized, so internet would be available at points on the trail. So, more about this 4 week wild, unplanned journey to follow.

Sometimes, at times like these, I myself wonder. Am I mad? Am I crazy? Am I out of my senses? What am I? Then sometimes I think, maybe this is me.

2 comments:

  1. Just wondering... which God do you swear to? I thought you were not a believer yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds quite familiar to me... Thats the exact feeling I go through some of the days...especially the days I am not travelling. Its good to be crazy... not everyone can be one ;) :)

    Happy journey!

    ReplyDelete