Saturday, January 9, 2010

Finding a church....


....in Palampur is an interesting experience. The British spent a lot of time here and they left behind tea gardens, churches and military cantonments. I love the first 2. There is a major one in Dharamshala and another in Palampur, both called St. John in the Wilderness dating back to 1850s. On a visit to the one in Palampur, I heard about one which is older.

I went to find it today at Sidhpur. There are 3 Sidhpurs around Palampur. I started with one, failed...was sent to another, found a leprosy home and church with a delightful view. Went back to the main one to realize I had found something new, went back to finding the original target....found another small, delightful one. The gate was closed, I barged in shamelessly. The door was locked, I could not force it, spent 2 hours sitting in the courtyard. It was tranquil there. Two small tree trunk stubs decorated with christmas lights, a small church with no one around. Dhauladhars in the backdrop and a pine jungle.

Found the church but nothing about it. Tomorrow is prayer day.

2 comments:

  1. Aaah The holy Sanctum !!!
    Seems like old Anglo style monument ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually is an Anglo monument.

    ReplyDelete