Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ookhal Mool

Did I get you by the name? Or did I not? Either way, Ookhal Mool, the name, originates from the Hindi words for mortar and pestle. Ookhal Mool is a place halfway towards the Dhauladhars from Palampur, quite possibly a shepherd stop. I went there yesterday or atleast tried to at any rate. The huge rocks at the top of a mountain are what lends the shape of mortar and pestle to the place, hence the name.
Why did I go there? Bad question. You are reading 'The Confused and The Wandering'. I was confused and I wandered towards Ookhal Mool. I drove 3 km from home on a road which I thought should lead towards the trail start and I reached a check post and a sceptic. The sceptic was the check post guard (CPG), who made me park the car outside the check post and the following conversation ensued.

Shalabh (courteous): Hello! Could you tell me which way is Ookhal Mool?

CPG (disbelieving): What??

Shalabh (stressing): Ookhal Mool.

CPG (further disbelieving): Why?

Shalabh (non-chalant): I want to go there.

CPG (eyes popping out): What!! Do you think you can reach there?

Shalabh (being modest): Yes, I have trekked a little.

CPG (sizes me up and down): Does not seem so.

He finally obliged. I have been feeling fat since I ignored that comment.

So, anyway, I walked up a trail, feeling fat and unfit everytime I panted and remembered CPG's comment. I heard a strange bark from the hill opposite. I dont know how a leopard barks (if thats what it does) but it pretty much did sound like a leopard. I almost pissed my pants, just that there was not enough water inside. Inspired in part by an ice harvesting post by Brett Stuckel on State of Place and in part by Les Stroud and Bear Grylls on Discovery, filled my empty bottle with ice and carried it under my shoulder.
Had reached the ridge just below Ookhal Mool when I heard the bark again and saw some footmarks. To top it all, there was some scat (good word for animal shit) on a rock and some piss (not mine). Could I risk entering marked territory? I dont think so.

Headed back immediately. On the way back, I got a shot I have wanted for long. The close up of a flying bird of prey with the blue sky for background.
One day, this trekking season, I want to see the sunset from Ookhal Mool and show it to you. Till then, make do with these.

P.S.: I have photos of the scat and the piss but keeping in mind the sensitivities of would be readers, have not succumbbed to the temptation of posting them here. Not all my trips end up as 'almost there'. I often reach there. For those kinds, see this.

4 comments:

  1. the reason why you went there is the best part of it all... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out. Beautiful footprint, and that's a great snap you got of the bird. Know the species?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Brett. Thanks. I searched over the net, looks pretty much like a Himalayan Eagle. Will try and confirm though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Brett. Its not the Himalayan Eagle, its the Himalayan Griffon, a vulture.

    ReplyDelete